x 5 Star Reviews Site

Strategic Alimony & Maintenance Attorney Representing Menomonee Falls Family Law Clients

person signing alimony documentIn some divorce cases, alimony (also referred to as maintenance or spousal support) will be awarded to one spouse or the other to ensure they are not left financially destitute once the divorce is finalized. A request for alimony must be made during the divorce proceedings, so we urge you to contact The Law Office of John F. Zeckel, S.C. as soon as possible if you would like to petition for support.

Types of Maintenance/Alimony

  • Temporary Maintenance/Alimony — Payments made by the financially secure spouse to the spouse in need if the divorce causes financial hardship. These are ongoing payments made while the couple is separated or in the process of finalizing their divorce. Temporary maintenance may include payments for daily expenses and may continue until the spouse can recover financially, or until the court determines a permanent maintenance award.
  • Permanent Maintenance — This is what most people think of when referring to alimony. It is the amount paid on a regular and recurring basis after the divorce proceedings conclude. It may be ordered indefinitely or for a set number of years. The amount paid may change under circumstances such as remarriage, loss of employment, or death.
  • Rehabilitative Maintenance — This type of alimony is usually awarded for fixed period of time. It is ordered in cases where in the ex-spouse is in need of assistance, or financial support to be used in job-searching or expanding employment skills. This type of award is commonly ordered when one of the parties has not worked in years and is often used to expand employment skills or completing educational programs.
  • Lump-Sum Maintenance — In some cases, the total alimony owed to one spouse may be awarded and paid all at once. There are several reasons why some couples prefer this type of maintenance. One common example is if one party maintains the majority of marital property and pays the other spouse this lump-sum as a form of “buying out” the spouse who forfeited the property. In cases of temporary or rehabilitative maintenance, the spouse making payments may want to make the payment in full and make a clean break.

Get the High-Quality Counsel You Need

A divorce is a challenging experience for everyone involved, even in the most amicable of cases. No matter what your situation is, you can rely upon our honest and aggressive representation to protect your interests and arrive at a resolution which meets your need and expectations. Allow us to educate you about your rights and secure the divorce settlement you deserve.

The Law Office of John F. Zeckel, S.C. provides effective legal representation to clients who are facing alimony and maintenance issues in Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County, Washington County, and throughout southeastern Wisconsin. Contact our firm today at (262) 255-2050 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced lawyer.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search