x 5 Star Reviews Site

Accomplished Family Law Attorney Helping Menomonee Falls Families With Parenting Plans

When it comes to divorce, determining how to provide a comfortable and stable future for your children is a chief concern. The terms of the divorce will cover issues of child custody and child support, as well as a number of other important aspects that will impact your child’s well-being. Many divorcing spouses come to an agreement on how they would like to parent and raise their children. This official document is called a parenting plan, and The Law Office of John F. Zeckel, S.C. is happy to provide you with the legal guidance you need to negotiate a new parenting plan or to help you modify the terms of your existing parenting plan.

What Is A Parenting Plan?

A parenting plan is a legal agreement that is formed during a divorce proceeding. It defines how both parents will jointly raise their children, including such factors as custody arrangements, where the child will reside on which days of the week, and where the children will spend various holidays. A parenting plan can also identify other aspects of the child’s welfare, such as medical care, daycare arrangements, or participation in extracurriculars, among other topics.


View a blank parenting plan here.

Modifying A Parenting Plan

As circumstances in your life change, it follows that any child custody or parenting responsibilities may also need to change. If you have recently experienced a significant event in your life that will impact your ability to provide care, house your child, or financially support your child, you are likely to seek a modification to the existing parenting plan. Typically, if the modification is major enough, this will need to be proven through “adequate cause” during a court hearing. If you are seeking a major modification, the court will consider some of the following criteria when determining if you have adequate cause:

  • Whether both parents agree to the modification
  • Whether the custodial parent has allowed the child to live with the noncustodial parent for a substantial length of time
  • Whether the child is no longer safe in the current living situation
  • Whether the parent has been convicted of custodial interference

If you are considering pursuing a modification to your parenting plan, The Law Office of John F. Zeckel, S.C. is here to help. We will listen carefully to the details of your circumstances and advise you on the best path forward.

The Law Office of John F. Zeckel, S.C. is proud to offer effective legal representation to clients who are navigating parenting plans issues in Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County, Washington County, and throughout southeastern Wisconsin. Call our friendly firm today at (262) 255-2050 to schedule a free consultation with a knowledgeable family law attorney.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search